Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

I am My Own Worst Enemy



This week's theme for Eat.Live.Be. For a Better 2011 asks us to discuss our biggest challenge.



I could tell you my biggest challenge is time. There are never enough hours in the day.



I feel like I start the morning at a mad dash and don't stop running around until about 10 minutes before it's bedtime. And then I fall into bed, anxious about having to start it all over again the next day. I could say my biggest challenge is lack of time. But that isn't it.

I could tell you my biggest challenge is my warm, comfy bed.



I'm worn out from the day before and there's nothing that sounds better than a couple extra minutes of sleep. I've already told you one of my primary motivators to run is that I have to get out of bed to walk Thatdog anyway. I could say that my cozy bed is the biggest challenge I face. But it isn't.

My biggest challenge is my own laziness. Because even with the time constraints, I could always get up early on days I don't run to head to the gym for strength training. And I already do this on days I run, so my bed can't be that enticing.

I have to force myself to get up from my desk each day to fill my water glass because otherwise I'm too lazy to move. In fact, that's the main reason I don't snack or eat dessert - I'm too lazy to get up and head into the kitchen. I have to carry water with me on the weekend because I'm too lazy to go seek it out if it's not on my body.

So how do I handle these challenges? Well, I'm a big fan of accepting your weaknesses. I can't stop being lazy, but I can work with my own laziness. I already told you that I've taken to carrying water with me on the weekends to ensure that I can keep up with my "drink more water on the weekends" goal. And as for the laziness with heading to the gym, well my solution is to go after work. Even if it means eating dinner a little later. Even if it means staying up past my bedtime to get everything done - it's a good thing I didn't make a resolution to get 8 hours of sleep a night!!

Next week's topic is What's Your Favorite Healthy Change - How has a healthy change you've made been helping you?

And here are a list of the other bloggers participating:

I thought this would be a good time to share my ultimate lazy girl dinner. You may have heard of the world famous, often duplicated "salsa chicken." It's got to be one of the easiest dinners to make since you really just combine salsa and chicken. Well, if you want to get even lazier, you make "salsa wings." Why are they lazier than salsa chicken? Salsa chicken requires a fork and a knife, while salsa wings? Just your grubby little fingers. Although, maybe they are labor intensive since you'll have to wash your hands before AND after eating them.



Salsa Wings
12 chicken full chicken wings
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger

1. Preheat oven to 500. Cut off chicken wing tips and cut wings in half at the joint. You should now have a wing and mini-drumstick for each wing.
2. Combine salsa, honey, and ginger in bowl. Reserve half of this mixture.
3. Toss chicken with the remaining salsa mixture. Bake 35 minutes, turning once halfway.
4. Toss chicken with the reserved half of the salsa mixture.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about laziness. That warm cozy bed (especially in the winter) is so alluring.
    Your Salsa Chicken recipe looks great. Simple but tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that - work with your laziness. I need to figure out how to "work with my procrastination"...especially when it comes to schoolwork. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me you have everything under control. You also know how to make fabulous wings. These really look delicious. I love to visit here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete