Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Feeling Like Summer Again



This morning, when I went out to walk Thatdog, it was beautiful out. The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Which of course, always makes me fear for earthquakes, but that's another story.

I almost didn't get to enjoy the day since I spent the first half of it running errands. I hadn't been to the store since we got back from Arizona and we were pretty much lacking in everything. But now the fridge is back to being full and friendly.

The second half of the day I spent in the kitchen, preparing for the week - that meant FINALLY making the cookies to send to The Actress and Armani as a thank you for the cookie cutters they sent us for Christmas. Yes, I am that far behind. (Pictures and recipe to come later this week). I also made muffins for breakfast this week, squash pie to stick in our lunches, soups, dinners, and sides.

But I still managed to get out and enjoy some of the beautiful weather. Around 4pm, I took a little kitchen break to for a run. It was my first real run back since the half (more on that later too. WHEW it is going to be a fun week!) and I wanted to take it easy, but at the same time, not let my mileage drop too much since I've got another half coming up in March. So I did a 6 miler, enjoying the sun, and as I headed back, enjoying the breeze.

It was definitely an unseasonable day. It's been so cold, wet, and gloomy lately, I've forgotten how nice it is to have a summerish day in the winter. It reminds me of one of my favorite summer meals - shish kebabs! Skewered and grilled meat just screams backyard bbq parties, doesn't it? Popping open a cold beer and watching the sun set, late into the evening. The sun was already going down when I got home from my run, but sometimes it's fun to pretend it's summer - in the middle of January.




Ranch Beef and Pepper Skewers
1 cup ranch dressing
salt
pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb sirloin, cut into chunks
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 red onion, cut into chunks

1. Combine ranch dressing, pepper, garlic, and sirloin in a ziplock bag and marinate 1 hour.
2. Heat grill (or grill pan) to medium high heat. Alternate threading meat, pepper, and onions onto skewers, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Grill 6 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.

4 comments:

  1. The weather has been unseasonably warm here too That Girl but I can only dream of summer in the middle of a Canadian winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a meal I definitely could enjoy. Your run sounds fantastic as well. Enjoy it. I'm sure the weather gods are simply teasing you. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can send some of your sun over this way? I ran 8 miles in 16 degrees this weekend. Yuck. Or maybe I can move in with you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a crazy and wild winter. There are days in which it is wicked cold. I look forward to warm (not hot) summer days. I live in Florida, I should be warm
    :-)

    Kebabs are always a summery dish. Beef and peppers are a great combination. Cheers to your warm summer day in Winter!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete