Pages

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Heart and soul


I don't play piano, but even I know how to play this classic song. I can play 2 songs on piano - this one and "Castle on a Cloud." No one ever taught me how to play them, it's just something I messed around with. Kinda like this dinner. It's a classic. Everyone has a version - none of which I looked at. Instead I opened up my fridge and saw a ton of leftovers staring back at me. Now the problem with leftovers is that they tend to develop an attitude. Sure they're all sweet an innocent as you first put them in the fridge, brimming with hope and naiveté. But as they sit they start to sour. These ones developed a heavily stereotyped New York "wise guy" accent and an evil sneer. I knew I'd have to use them soon or they'd put a hit out on me. And since both leftovers were especially spicy, I decided to add salsa and chicken and call it a night.

The result was wonderfully flavorful and spicy, giving the leftovers a new life, and the chicken a healthy kick in the rear.

The leftovers of choice? (Both are from "The Bride and Groom's First and Forever Cookbook")

corn with jalapeno
  • Combine 1 Tbsp butter with 1 thinly sliced jalepeno seeded and deviened. Cook iun large pan over medium high heat until butter is bubbling
  • Add 2 cups corn kernels, 2 Tbsp water and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until corn is tender
  • Add 2 more Tbsp water, season with pepper.
chipotle black beans
  • Heat 2 tsp canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 clove chopped garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, and 1/8 tsp cinnamon. Cook until peppers are tender.
  • Reduce heat to low and add 1 can black beans, 1/4 cup water, 2 tsp picante sauce and 1/4 tsp minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. Cook until warmed through.
Jalepenos, chipotle....I can't think of better ingredients for salsa chicken!

Use Up the Leftovers Salsa Chicken
  • 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 boneless, skinless, chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup chipotle black beans
  • 3/4 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1/2 cup corn with jalepeno
  1. Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken breast and cook 6 minutes on each side.
  2. Add black beans, salsa, and corn. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
I served mine over rice.
Serves 2.
Each serving has (including the rice):
Calories 281.0
Total Fat 2.0 g
Cholesterol 34.0 mg
Sodium 524.0 mg
Potassium 282.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
Sugars 3.0 g
Protein 22.0 g

8 comments:

  1. I love black beans. Especially when they are all mixed up with other goodies. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make something similar to this all the time. Such a good way to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of food. Now I am craving southwestern food....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't need to own cookbooks anymore. I'll just come read your blog instead. I've talked about you a hundred times to hubs, mentioning that I need to learn how to cook stuff as well as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks yummy!

    btw - what is fallish about summer squash and zucchini??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you kill me with your creativity, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never seem to make leftovers work for anything. I wind up throwing them out and sad about the waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really need to crack that book open again. i seem to forget what great recipes there are in it.

    ReplyDelete