Do you have any weird mental blocks? I do and I'm willing to admit it. The idea of chicken on pizza seems really weird to me. Want to know why that's a weird mental block? (Oh come on, you know you're dying to find out). It's because I actually love chicken on pizza. BBQ chicken pizza, buffalo chicken pizza, even Thai chicken pizza.
But for some reason my mind divorces the actual deliciousness of chicken on pizza with the idea of it. So I was a little skeptical of this white chicken pizza. Do you know what white chicken pizza really is? CHICKEN ALFREDO PIZZA! Think about it, a thick, creamy, cheesy, white sauce and juicy chunks of chicken. It's just as good as you would imagine.
Chicken and Herb White Pizza (From Cooking Light)
1 lb refrigerated pizza dough
1 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated pecorino Romanao cheese
1 Tbsp cornmeal
1 1/2 cups shredded boneless, skinless roasted chicken breast
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 Tbsp chopped oregano
1 Tbsp chopped chives
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 450. Let dough stand 30 minutes, or until it reaches room temperature. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add flour and pepper, cook 1 minute, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Spread white sauce over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Top with chicken and onion. Bake for 17 minutes.
- Sprinkle with herbs, cut into 6 wedges.