We eat them with abandon. Thatkid can put away a pint of blueberries in a single sitting. At dinner last night there was a bit of a scuffle over a bowl of pineapple. We're using them in everything. Including our dinners.
Fruit on a pizza is a little controversial. Personally, there's nothing I like better than pineapple on my pizza (and lately pineapple and jalapeno is my favorite combo). Thatboy isn't as enamored with the combination of sweet and salty on a pizza. Which is actually why this peach and gorgonzola pizza works so well. It could be due to the time of year, but the peaches aren't nearly as sweet as pineapple. Especially when paired with a balsamic glaze. It doesn't hurt that Thatboy does love fruit combined with balsamic.
This has all the elements of a masterpiece - the peaches and balsamic, along with tangy gorgonzola cheese. The chicken is just a bonus!
Peach and Gorgonzola Chicken Pizza (From Cooking Light)
1 prebaked thin pizza crust
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 unpeeled medium peach, thinly sliced
1/3 balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush oil evenly over crust.
- Top evenly with 1/4 cup mozzarella, chicken, Gorgonzola, and peach slices.
- Top with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Bake for 11 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-heat heat. Cook until reduced to 2 Tbsp (about 5 minutes).
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over pizza. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.