Thatboy and I have long had a disagreement when it comes to pizza. He likes them piled high with meat - pepperoni and sausage to be exact. Personally, I'm a veggie girl when it comes to pizza. The more the better. It's not that I won't eat pepperoni and sausage, but I don't prefer them.
When you've been with someone for 15 years, you get pretty good at compromising. We either trade back and forth between something he likes and something I like, or we go halvsies. More often than not we go halvsies because Thatkid has developed a similar preference in his pizzas.
This pizza supreme pleases just about everyone. It makes Thatboy happy with the inclusion of sausage, and I love the peppers and mushrooms. The only one who was unhappy with this pizza was Thatkid, who has a serious mushroom aversion. But you know what they say - you can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Pizza Supreme (From Cooking Light)
1 lb pizza dough
2 tsp olive oil
1 link sweet turkey Italian sausage
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced orange bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3/4 cup marinara sauce
4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 500. Let dough stand uncovered for 30 minutes to allow to come to room temperature. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle and place on a pizza pan.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casing from sausage. Add sausage to pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Add mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, crushed red pepper and garlic. Cook 4 minutes.
- Spread sauce over dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Arrange cheese evenly over sauce.
- Arrange sausage mixture evenly over cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.