It is hot in San Diego right. Wait, let me change that, it is Hot. See the capital H? Which explains why Thatbaby is getting in a lot of pool time. Little LO has been getting his water sports in a different way. L&O texted me Saturday night to see if we wanted to join them at the local Splash Pad. Thatbaby was all in.
It was a fabulous way to cool off on a hot summer day.
Hot days = cold dinners. One of my favorite salads lately are the noodle salads at Trader Joes. Soba noodles or rice noodles, lettuce, and all sorts of other goodies. The warm weather had me wanting to try to make my own version at home. Marinate the chicken in a tangy salty sauce and then use it to dress the noodles! Lots of crisp romaine and cool cucumbers make it perfect for summer.
Cold Noodle Salad
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 chicken breast
salt and pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp honey
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 pkg rice noodles
1 cucumber, diced
1 head of romaine, torn
1 sprig of mint, minced
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown in saucepan, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ketchup, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and honey and boil for 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and slice.
- Toss the noodles with the sauce.
- Place chicken, cucumbers, lettuce, and mint in a bowl. Add the sauced noodles and toss.