Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Fancy Dinners Out: Grilled Turkey Reuben


Did anybody notice something missing from my monthly goals this month?  Something that's been on the list for over a year?  Guess what peoples - we found a babysitter!  2 actually, and we're still interviewing, but we have a sure fire, already love her, babysitter!

Last weekend, Thatboy and I took advantage of our newfound freedom and went out to a grown up dinner.  We dressed up, headed to a nice restaurant, drank and ate, and were totally and completely exhausted by 10pm.  Well, I was.  Thatboy convinced me I wasn't too tired to head out for some frozen yogurt after dinner.

Don't get me wrong - I love going out to eat.  I love having some adult time with Thatboy.  I love frozen yogurt.  I am so thankful we have a babysitter.  But at the same time, sometimes I still appreciate just eating an easy comfort food at home with my boys.

Reubens are a quintessential Jewish comfort food.  A sandwich piled high with warm pastrami or corned beef, the tang of sauerkraut, and creamy thousand island dressing.   Traditionally served on a marble rye.  This is not your traditional reuben.  Firstly, because I used turkey instead of pastrami or corned beef.  This makes it a bit lighter of a sandwich, but I love turkey sandwiches and this is a great twist.  The second big change is that instead of serving warm meat, I warmed the entire sandwich - on the grill (or grill pan in my case).  The whole sandwich becomes something warm, gooey, and comforting.  Something you don't need to get dressed up to eat.

Grilled Turkey Reuben 
6 slices of marble rye
6 oz of turkey
3 slices swiss cheese
3/4 cup sauerkraut
sliced dill pickles
thousand island dressing
  1. Place 3 slices of  bread on your work station. Top each slice with turkey, swiss, sauerkraut, and pickles.
  2. Spread thousand island dressing on the remaining 3 slices of bread and place atop your stacked sandwich.
  3. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.  Grill sandwich about 3 minutes per side, or until cheese is melted. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay for you guys!! That's a HUGE step, but I'm sure you'll come to appreciate the alone time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the ultimate sandwich.
    Also, yay for you getting a babysitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. We just hired our first babysitter (Ryan's cousin!) She's coming over every Thursday morning, which will be a huge help! Thank you for sharing this delicious sandwich. I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, and only... 2 years later?! lol

    We have a date-night sitter and ADORE her. As does FFC. He literally leaps into her arms when she comes over to "play" with him.

    We don't use her as much as some might (given her awesomeness), but just HAVING her and knowing she could come over if we should WANT to is actually a lot more freeing that I thought. We go out maybe every 3-4 weeks on a date night.

    I love knowing she'll come over, and can take care of anything that comes up. I can relax while out instead of freaking out!

    ReplyDelete