Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

First Foray at Filipino: Pancit Canton


I didn't grow up with a vast array of Asian cultures.  I knew they existed, but my small town in Pennsylvania was bereft of any sort of diversity.  My experience with Asian culture was relegated to visits to Chinatown in NYC, the Chinese and Japanese pavilions at Epcot, and the Chinese dishes my dad would prepare.

My world broadened when we moved to California.  In a large way.  I suddenly not only had Asian friends, but diverse Asian friends!  Korean friends, Filipino friends, Thai friends, Chinese friends, Taiwanese friends, Japanese friends, Cambodian friends!  Which also exposed me to various, delicious cuisines.  

I usually think that the best thing that came out of my marriage to Thatboy was my marriage to Thatboy.  But I got an added benefit of marrying into his inlaws.  I love my inlaws inlaws.  And because of them I get fabulous Filipino food multiple times a year.  I can guarantee that at least once when I'm visiting Thatboy's family I'll get to eat lumpia, adobo, and pancit.

But I've never tried to make it at home.  There's something intimidating about making something so far removed from your own sphere.  But last month when Joelen posted this recipe for pancit last month I knew I had to give it a shot.  So I did.  And it was great!  Even Thatboy, who confided that pancit was not his favorite dish, thought this was excellent.



Pancit Canton (From What's Cookin, Chicago?)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
1 cup carrots, peeled and julienned
1 bunch bok choy, thinly sliced
1 cup snow peas
1/4 soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
4 eggs, hard boiled, cooled, peeled and sliced into wedges

  1. In a large wok over medium high heat, add the oil and garlic. Sauté garlic until golden in oil, about 1 minute. 
  2. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the carrots to the wok, combining with the garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes to soften.
  4. Next add bok choy and snow peas. Continue to toss in the wok until bok choy starts to wilt and snow peas soften, about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Run the dried pancit canton noodles until warm water just to wet them. Add the wet noodles to the wok.
  6. Pour the soy sauce over the noodles, Carefully toss the cooked vegetables over the noodles to help soften and incorporate all the ingredients. Continue to stir fry the noodles and vegetables together until the noodles are fully softened and cooked through.
  7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Add the bell peppers and toss. The residual heat of the noodles will soften the peppers while maintaining a slight crunchy texture.
  9. Transfer stir fried noodles into a large serving platter and top with green onions and slices of hard boiled egg.

3 comments:

  1. I think Filipino is one of the few Asian cuisines that I've never really truly eaten! This noodle dish definitely sounds good to me though. Might have to be my first attempt at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to you for stepping out and preparing this traditional Fillipino dish-Looks delicious. It is wonderful to have family and friends who are diverse, it provides a wonderful back drop to discovering so many new things.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Ryan loves all different types of Asian food, and he has certainly expanded my palate. I don't think we've tried Filipino food together (although his roommate used to prepare it for him). I'll have to make this for us soon! Thank you for sharing. What a delicious way to end my week (and start the new one!) I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete