Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Happy New Year!: Dr. Pepper Chicken


Shana Tova everyone!  As you may or may not know, last Thursday was the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanna.  As usual we spent the holiday with Thatmom.  On Thursday, we brought Thatbaby with us to services.  They do something special for the little ones.  About halfway through, anyone younger than 5 is sent outside with one of the assistant Rabbis for a "tot service."


I especially liked this one because the "sermon" was a retelling of Stone Soup!  One of my favorite fables.  The Rabbi had all the kids go find plastic foods that were spread around the yard and come put it in her pot.  Thatbaby found an orange and cautiously joined in.


At home, Thatmom made quite the spread with chicken baked with dried fruits, and her friends contributed mashed potatoes, green beans, and of course, CHALLAH!  In honor of the holiday, Challah on Rosh Hashanna is round, to represent the circle of life.  Back at home, our challah was served in rolls, with chicken sandwiched between them.  Not just any chicken, but Dr. Pepper chicken. It's not a traditional dish, but I like it because the soda adds a sweetness to the chicken, perfect for a "sweet new year,"  the traditional Jewish wish.


Dr. Pepper Chicken
1/2 onion, sliced
2 chicken breasts
1 can of Dr. Pepper
  1. Place the onion slices at the bottom of a crockpot and lay the chicken breasts on top.
  2. Pour the Dr. Pepper over and cook on low for 8 hours.
  3. Remove the chicken and shred.


6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you Kate! This chicken is simple and I suspect very tasty! I, too, love the sweet flavor in savory dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of this chicken. I will have to try it. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of this chicken. I will have to try it. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! And what a wonderful chicken sandwich. Thank you so much for sharing yet another delicious post. I'm hungry now! I hope you are having a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year chica! I love the sound of that tot service...I feel like all religious services should have such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year That Girl. These sandwiches sound delicious with their secret ingredient.

    ReplyDelete