Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Going Dark: Stuffed Potatoes


When most people see Thatbaby they instant decry that he looks exactly like Thatboy.  While it's true that Thatbaby bears a resemblance to his father, I think the commentary comes from how very blonde Thatbaby is.  And how very not blonde I am.

Well,  I'm very not blonde most of the year.  In fact, my high school diving teammates referred to me as "Snow White" with my dark hair, pale skin, and blue eyes.   But during the summer, my hair undergoes a drastic transformation.  It gets really really blonde.  Obviously not as blonde as Thatbaby, but blonde enough where I was once in an October wedding where someone asked if I was wearing a fake bun, since my ends were such a drastically different color than my roots.  I wasn't.

Typically you can tell I've resigned myself to the fall when I dye my ends.  It's the opposite of how most people function.  Instead of dying my dark roots to match my light ends, I dye my light ends to match my dark roots.  It's less maintenance that way.   And I can do it at home.

This year I tried a new dye - Garnier's Color Foam.  If any of you dye your hair at home this is the way to go.  It's clean and easy and it doesn't run down your neck/face/ears.  So in 20 minutes I was back to my typical brunette.  And no one has noticed the difference!  Which is really the goal.  Just getting my hair back to a single, matching color.

And since I've decided it's officially fall, I can get back to making fall comfort foods.  Like stuffed potatoes!  These have always been one of Thatdad's specialties that make their way into our mealplan in the fall and winter.  Mashed potatoes are on everyone's idea of comfort food, so taking them and putting them in a potato skin and baking with cheese?  It's just as good as having single colored hair!

Stuffed Potatoes
3 Russet potatoes
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/8 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper
  1. Pierce potatoes with a fork, coat with oil and bake at 425 for 1 hour, then cool until you're able to handle.
  2. Slice off the top 1/3 off each potato, lengthwise, and hollow out with a spoon, leaving a thin layer of potato inside.
  3. Combine inside of potato, butter, sour cream, 1/8 cup of cheese, buttermilk, salt, and pepper and mash until smooth.
  4. Fill each potato skin with the "inside" mixture and top with remaining cheese.
  5. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Color foam. I have to try that. It's been eons since I last dyed my hair, but I have been wanting to give it a reddish hue.

    And that potato. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color foam.... I need it to hide the greys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to highlight my hair but I like it now being its natural colour :D

    I reckon That boy might change... and he might look more like you when he becomes That man :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ends of my hair have definitely been lighter during the summer since I started running in college...not enough to really notice if you're not me...but it's there I swear it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuffed potatoes are the best comfort foods. I haven't dyed my hair...but I've always want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite dishes that my mom makes..

    ReplyDelete