Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Sunday Supper

I mentioned it yesterday, but last weekend I decided it was time to revive the age old tradition of "Sunday Supper."  (But only for one week, since this week we'll be going out to celebrate what a fantastic mom I am.)

I decided to go for the classic, roast chicken and veggies.  There's just something about being home long enough during the day to roast a chicken for dinner.  There's little that can beat it.  Of course, I have a soft spot for roast chicken in general. I just adore it.   It's just so easy, and so flavorful!

But variation isn't my strong suit in roast chicken.  Normally I just coat it with some fat (either oil or butter) and some herbs and let the oven take over.  Occasionally I throw some aromatics in the cavity when I'm feeling spicy.  Which is why this recipe was appealing to me.  It's simple, uses some of my favorite aromatics (citrus) and leaves you with a great flavorful gravy. 

And the best thing about making a roast chicken on a Sunday is that you have leftovers for during the week!  Stay tuned for the soup I made with ours.

Garlic and Citrus Chicken (From Giada De Laurentiis)
1 whole roasting chicken
Salt and pepper
1 orange, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
28 oz chicken broth
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil 
  1. Preheat to 400. Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. 
  2. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. 
  3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, on the rack in a roasting pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally. 
  4. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the about 45 minutes longer, basting the chicken with the juice mixture. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce.
  5. Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my! These really look exceptionally rich and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday has always been the day when I do a majority of cooking. It used to be that this was roast chicken, roast beef or roasted salmon days with a lavish spread. Those days are gone but I still like to make a special meal on a Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always had Sunday Supper when I was little, and it was soup, popcorn, and apples (so random!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss sunday supper too! We always had pasta with a huge pot of homemade sauce that bubbled away all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this recipe before and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't invite me and this looks really good. Waiting for the soup.

    ReplyDelete