Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It must be soup week

I'm having one of those weeks.  One of those weeks where I'm really just trying to hang in there until it's over. 

Although next week promises to be difficult, this week is difficult squared.  Between work, a sick baby, the upcoming wedding, and some general misfortune I'm beyond running on empty.  K1 asked if I had time to set and relax at all and I told her I might be able to in 2 days.

After a night of disturbed sleep I didn't even have the time to use the restroom between the time I left the house until I returned around 5:40pm.  Which isn't good for me.  Although, it could have been worse.  I forgot my tea and water bottle at home, so didn't have anything to eat or drink during that time period either.

Days like today I just want to collapse when I get home, except inevitably days like today I'm precluded from relaxing because there's still work to be done when I get home.

Days like today calls for a simple meal ready to pull out of the fridge and throw on the table.  Because actually making a meal is just too much effort. And since we're still under the weather, soup it is!

This was supposed to be chicken noodle soup.  (Cure what ails you), but we didn't have any noodles.  (Told you it's been one of those weeks).  We did have some gnocchi - which is one of my favorite pastas anyway. 


 Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped  (I like to use whatever leftovers I have for this)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 stalk celery, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
sprig thyme
salt and pepper   
8 oz egg noodles 

  1. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.  Saute the onion, celery, garlic, carrot  until onion is translucent.
  2. Add chicken, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper to taste, and thyme.  Bring to a boil.
     gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the egg noodles and bring back to a boil.  Boil for 4 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.

13 comments:

  1. Here is hoping that your house is feeling better. I hate ( I know hate is a strong word, I can hear my mother ringing in my ears) days like that- where it is Go, go, go until you drop. I am having a week like that too, it makes me foul.

    I admire your ability to put this delicious soup on the table...Looks really good. Me? I won't even mention it because it is too sad.

    Always,
    Velva

    P.S. Here is sending positive vibes for a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE gnocchi in soup. And it sounds like you got a really good meal on the table nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When one is under the weather, soup is most comforting. It is a good idea to put gnocchi into the soup, makes it more hearty. Hope things get better already. Don't we all have one of those days now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear-- I hope things slow down for you, Kate!

    i like that you used gnocchi-- it's my favorite pasta too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of throwing in some gnocchi in this creamy soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry you had a hard day but love the look of that soup. NO matter what, soup brings comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have my hard days like yours in my life too! They are not fun, not fun at all. At the end of the day you just wish to arrive the moment in which you will fall on your bed like a sack full of stones. I am sure this warm and tasty soup has given you just a little boost to overcome all this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of "Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup" that my husband requests about once a year. Except, his version is made with cream of chicken soup...love this one way more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most comforting soup ever! We love chicken noodle soup and this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most comforting soup ever! We love chicken noodle soup and this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would love to have that soup right now.. oh boy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feel better (all of you)! I think gnocchi in soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chicken soup is always good for "healing"... It's getting cold and wintery now in Melbourne and this soup will be nice for our dinner :D

    ReplyDelete