Our usual sweet and easy boy has been fighting sleep like it's his job. And letting out the most awful, pathetic cries. So much so that I brought him in to the doctor today to verify there was nothing horribly wrong with him. There wasn't. Dr. R just thinks he might be uncomfortable because he doesn't feel well. Which doesn't change the fact that we weren't eating dinner tonight until 9pm.
Soooo anyway, back to the steak. This was one of those, "hmmmm I wonder if this would work" kind of meals. I usually make my sauces by deglazing the pan with wine. This sauce has wine, but it also has the addition of something sweet - jam. You can use whatever jam you'd like, I used guava jam (because we had it!)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp cumin
1 sprig oregano
1 sirloin steak
1/4 cup guava jam
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp white wine
- Whisk the olive oil, the vinegar, cumin, oregano, and 1/2 tsp salt in a resealable plastic bag. Add the steak, turning to coat it and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the jam, garlic, and 1/3 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the jam has melted, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, wine, and salt to taste.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and then let cool before drizzling over the steak.
- Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the grill or the grill pan.
- Grill the steak 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare.