Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Roasted and Covered

It should come as now small surprise that we like roasted veggies in this house.  There are several reasons that go beyond how tasty they are.

Like how easy they are to make.  Most of the time if I'm cooking something in the oven, it just makes sense to throw a tray of vegetables in their too.

Sometimes I do this even when I'm not going to be using them with that meal.  Thatbaby loves to snack on roasted veggies, so having some on hand is an easy addition to any of his meals.

But it also means that on nights when I'm not using the oven (like, say, when I'm serving quesadillas) I still can have some roasted vegetable goodness.

Roasted vegetables work just as well cold as they do hot.  In fact, one of my favorite potato salad recipes uses cooked, roasted vegetables, tossed in a creamy dressing.

This cold roasted veggie salad expounds on that - adding some cooked green beans and beets into the mix.  Each brings a different kind of sweetness to the salad, tempered by a tangy sour cream dressing.

 Cold Roasted Veggie Salad
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
cayenne pepper
1 cup roasted beets
1 cup roasted green beans
1 cup roasted new potatoes
  1. Combine the sour cream, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and a dash of cayenne.  Blend well.
  2. Toss the dressing with the beets, beans, and potatoes.


6 comments:

  1. I love roasted veggies, but never tried them with a dressing. P.S. I tried your Valentines Day salad dressing the other day - delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your raw egg question makes SO much more sense now. Although, to be fair, I still did a lot of raw/undercooked eggs while I was pregnant.

      Delete
    2. Confession: Since then, I have too. At first, it was accidental-ish, or rather, I didn't really think about the fact that I was eating aioli. It was delicious and everything seemed fine, so I did it again. (I'm fairly certain this is the mentality of a crack addict, but oh well). In general, though, I'm trying to stick to the list and be good . . .

      Delete
  2. Knowing that I have roasted veggies in the fridge makes me feel so much better about life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats roasted Vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can dig roasted vegetables. I do it often too, I find that roasting really brings out he natural sugars in vegetables, and they are delicious. You can easily roast radishes and garlic too. Roasting really mellows out the flavors.

    Your salad is really nice.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete