Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Momma Momma

To all the moms out there - I hope you had a fabulous weekend! I hope you got to do exactly what you wanted - whether that means you spent time with or without your family.

For my first mother's day we went all out.  Or, should I say Thatboy went all out.  It started on Friday with a Mother's Day picnic at Thatbaby's daycare.  Nothing better than watching your child light up when they see your face.

And then on Sunday, Thatboy took the baby and sent me away.  While the boys went for a hike, Thatmom and I headed to the The Spa.  Thatboy had set up the whole day for us.  We had manicures and pedicures, lunch by the pool, and spent time napping and reading in the sun.  And Thatboy also arranged for a little treat for each of us.


 When we got home, I was greeted by another little token of appreciation from my boys.  Turns out, they did a little more than hiking.


And then we headed to dinner with the whole family.  I loved everything about the day, but there was one thing that I had asked for.  One thing I didn't have that I really wanted.  A picture of me, Thatbaby, and Thatmom.


And since it was my special day,  I'm using it as an opportunity to share one of my favorite dishes with you, chili!  (I know, you're shocked.) 

Black Bean Chili
2 cans black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 diced chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 red onion, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp ancho chile powder
1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
2 1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp tomato paste

  1. In a Dutch oven, heat half of the olive oil and brown the ground beef.  Remove beef from the dutch oven.
  2. Add the remaining olive oil to the dutch oven and saute the onions until they are translucent. 
  3. Add the chili powders and cumin and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). 
  4. Add beef stock, browned ground beef, beans, diced tomatoes, chipotle chile pepper and tomato paste.  Simmer over low heat, uncovered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I have never had anything like this before, but it looks perfect! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that chiili looks divine!

    ReplyDelete