Pages

Monday, May 07, 2012

Siete de Mayo!





I'll be honest with you.  I don't speak Spanish.  I had to ask Thatboy for help entitling this post.  He doesn't really speak Spanish either - with the exception of  a rudimentary high school education.  But at least he can count.

Which is important when you miss the 5th of May.  Or at least miss posting a recipe for it.  Because in truth, we didn't miss it at all. 

Saturday I headed up to LA County for NotMya's bridal shower.  I dragged the boys halfway up with me.  They stayed with Thatmom while I partied with the girls.  Then I came home and we all headed out for a fiesta.  Margaritas, tequila, fajitas, chips, guacamole - we had it all.

But you don't get to enjoy that.  No one gets fat listening to what other people eat.  And Cinco de Mayo is all about the food - like any good holiday. 

So quesadillas at home it is!  This is not your typical quesadilla.  It is so far from Mexican that it makes my Fake-xican look authentic.  But it, as Thatboy says, surprisingly good!

I can't even remember where I first saw this - it's been all over the interwebs.  On so many blogs I read.  But everytime I saw it, I thought - I need to try that!  It has all the makings of some of my favorite things - quesadilla, bbq, and pineapple.  Put them together and it's just as delicious as it sounds.

So happy belated Cinco de Mayo!  Or  Feliz Cinco de Mayo*!

 Grilled Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas (From The Pioneer Woman)
8 whole Flour Tortillas
Butter Or Margarine
2 cups crushed pineapple
3 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt And Pepper, to taste
3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
1 whole Jalapeno, Sliced
Cilantro
3 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce

  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and Cajun spice.
  2. Drizzle olive oil on a grill pan and grill on both sides until done, brushing with barbecue sauce. Set aside and slice into very thin slices. 
  3. Warm griddle over medium heat and put sizzling butter or margarine in the pan. Slightly warm and toast tortillas on both sides, then remove from griddle and set aside.
  4. Sprinkle half of the tortillas with grated Monterey Jack. 
  5. Arrange chicken slices, pineapple, and jalapeno slices. Sprinkle on cilantro. 
  6. Drizzle extra barbecue sauce over the top. 
  7. Place a tortilla on top. Place back in the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted.
  8. Cut each quesadilla into six wedges.

*Disclaimer - neither of us are sure if this is the correct translation.

6 comments:

  1. I think you have started something. Let's continue to celebrate Siete De Mayo. Next year, we continue to party and you cater.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors and textures in your photos make it look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, I wish I could make Quesidillas that look that good! Mine always fall apart! What is your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love Hawaiian pizza so I'd imagine that this would be pretty much up my alley! Who cares about authenticity in the face of melted cheese? Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a Hawaiian pizza version of quesadillas! Love this delicious Mexican food idea! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving pineapple in my quesadillas lately.

    ReplyDelete