Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm sensing a theme...

Some families have a weekly meal plan that goes something like this:  Monday - Mexican, Tuesday - Chicken, Wednesday - breakfast for dinner, Thursday - pasta, etc. etc. etc.  Not us.  I'm all over the map when I menu plan.  Nothing stays the same from week to week.

Except there's no such thing as always and never.  And recently I've found I've been following a kind of pattern over the past few weeks.  Nothing as blatant as Mexican Monday, but something Mexican has found its way onto our menu every week.  Same with chicken burgers.  Not to long ago I mentioned I wasn't a huge fan of chicken burgers - but those chicken parmesan burgers were so good, I've been a little hooked.

I've been looking around for some other twists on the usual chicken burgers to see if I like them as well.  I do.  This one especially.  This could be my favorite chicken burger of all times.  I know, that may not mean much since I don't have a huge population to choose from, but I'm working on that. 

I think part of the allure of this burger is that there is so much yummy goodness tucked in with the chicken - olives, feta, tomatoes - some of my favorite thing rolled up with chicken and topped with a tangy yogurt sauce.  I'm a pretty big fan of yogurt sauce too, so that definitely helps.

Greek Chicken Burgers (from Bakin And Eggs)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice (maybe 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
1 pound ground chicken
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (or 1 -2 tablespoons fresh)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
A few cranks of freshly ground pepper

  1. Whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley. 
  2.  Combine the ground chicken, egg, spinach, tomatoes, olives, feta, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  3. Form the chicken mixture into 4 patties.
  4. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little oil and burgers. Cook about 6-8 minutes per side.
  5. Serve on toasted, buttered buns with sauce, lettuce and tomato. Top with extra feta if desired.

6 comments:

  1. I won't even begin to describe my menu plan each week...Wait, I don't have one...I think its called "do it yourself fling and a dance with the microwave" its pitiful.

    What's nice about chicken is that it really can take on some good flavors like feta, olives and tomatoes (delicious). I am thinking your chicken burgers rock!

    Have a great weekend.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek flavors. These burgers sound so flavorful and full of healthy stuff. I wish the rest of my house would feel the same. These will be perfect for my girl BBQ in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am Greek all these flavors are very familiar to me plus I love them and use them all the time. These burgers must be seriously good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these burgers sound and look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yogurt sauce ALWAYS does it for me also. Always. Since i don't cook every day, I don't find that I follow a pattern but I think monthly I do. There's generally at least one Mexican, curry, pasta, soup, and salad every month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of transform an ordinary burger into a Greek-infused one. The yogurt sauce sounds very delicious!

    ReplyDelete