Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Egg Puffs


Sometimes I get frustrated with Thatboy.  Mostly when he takes his firm grasp of the obvious, and states it as though it was a bad thing.

Like these gougeres.  I've made gougeres before.  I thought they went over well.  I remember liking them.  At least liking them enough that when I decided to pull out all the stops for a fancy Sunday dinner I made sure to include them on the menu.  I love the light puffiness.  They way they taste like little clouds.  Even better - cheesy little clouds!

Thatboy however, took one bite and paused.  "They taste....eggy." 

"That's probably because they're little more than eggs and flour.  They're basically egg puffs."

"Oh."

And with that, there was a whole lot more of these egg puffs for Thatbaby and I.  He enjoyed them just as much as I do.  Even if they are eggy.

 Salt-and-Pepper Gougeres Adapted from Sunset December 2003 as seen on Elizabeth's Edible Experience
                                                          1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, cut into chunks
                                                          1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
                                                          6 large eggs, beaten to blend
                                                          1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
                                                          1 1/2 teaspoons fresh-ground pepper
                                                          Coarse sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 400.  Bring 1 1/2 cups water and the butter to a full rolling boil in a large pot over medium high heat.
2. Remove from heat, add flour all at once, and stir until mixture is a smooth, thick paste with no lumps.
3. Add the beaten eggs, a quarter at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition until dough is no longer slippery.
4.  Stir in cheese and pepper.
5.  Drop dough on sheets in slightly rounded tablespoon-size portions.
6. Sprinkle each mound with a few grains of coarse sea salt.  Bake for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I have never made gougeres but looking at yours suddenly I wish I have. They look very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also look quite...round. :P

    ReplyDelete