Pages

Monday, February 07, 2011

Switch It Up



My anxiety disorder THRIVES on routine. Same thing day in and day out. In the same order. But I know that's unusual. Most people need a change. Routines get old, and it's easy to get bored. And when you're bored, the natural tendency is to quit doing whatever the thing is that is getting so old so fast. Things like healthy eating, working out, and doing things that are good for you.

Being healthy is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Which means you don't always see results as quickly as you would like. Which is disheartening. And makes it even easier to fall back into old patterns.

This week's topic for Eat.Live.Be. is tips to help get you out of a rut.



Honestly, I can't imagine that there will be much variety in the response. The best way to get out of a rut, is to change things up a bit. Shake it up and break it down. It's the reason why I choose different running routes, so I don't get sick of seeing the same thing mile after mile.

It's also why I'm a huge fan of meal planning, so you don't end up eating pasta with marinara every night.

And if you're trying to up your water? There's a ton of things you can do to add some flavor. For the longest time I always kept a pitcher of water in the fridge, and when it emptied, I'd fill it up with a different "flavor." Sliced cucumbers, lemons, limes, oranges, even pineapple. They don't add calories, but they do add a little something to keep it interesting.

Next week's topic is all tips from the experts. And frankly, I'm not sure how to handle this so I am MORE than open to suggestions.

And here are a list of the other bloggers participating:
Another way to switch things up is to make things that are typically heavy, a little lighter. I can pretend that I made these red velvet cupcakes to be more health conscious, but the real reason? I had no butter in the house. No really, none. I was surprised too. Who doesn't have butter? No butter means I had to improvise a new red velvet recipe, one without a heavy cream cheese frosting. (Did I mention I was out of cream cheese too?) BUT these cupcakes work perfectly with today's post because they are a complete switch up of your traditional red velvet cupcakes. I've never had cupcakes so airy. I especially loved using a royal frosting which gave them a real meringue-y spring. See? Switch Ups are SO 2011.


No-Butter Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup Canola oil
1 cup buttermilk (the beauty of powdered buttermilk, even when you don't have butter in the house you still have buttermilk)
2 eggs
1 bottle red food coloring
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt in a bowl. (If you're using powdered buttermilk like me, put that in this bowl too)
2. Whisk together oil, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla in a separate bowl. (Again, if you're using the powdered buttermilk you can put the water portion in this bowl)
3. Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients in several additions, mixing with an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
4. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with the batter and bake 20-25 minutes. Cool before frosting with your favorite frosting.

5 comments:

  1. That is probably why eating was not one of my favourite things growing up since we knew what day it was by what was on the table.Changing things up and making it interesting is sound advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! I have to change things up too or I ancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look delicious. Change and learning home to deal with it makes us all more interesting to be around. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, I actually like my red velvets with oil more than butter. The texture is just awe-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished browsing EVERYTHING you have done since I have been busy conference planning and not posting and reading. I have really missed out - from here - to the post today is a long journey and some really beautiful food.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete