Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Baby, Baby, Baby



Last year was a little slow on the baby front. I mean sure, I had a couple here and there, but spread through the year - not like in years past. 2008, 2009, there were babies babies everywhere. It seemed like every time I turned around, another friend was pregnant. But in 2010, it seems like most people took a break from making dem babes.

It looks like 2011 we're up and breeding again! I don't want to give out too much information, because after all, it's not my news to share, but starting in July I'm going to be inundated with wiggly little fingers and toes. And (I'm not fabulous at pregnancy math) but I think the year is not over yet! Some of my friends are expecting their first, some their second, and some have come a really long road to get to where they are. I'm so happy for all my expectant mamas!!!!!!

Now I know Thatmom is getting sick of shrimp recipes, so I promise something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tomorrow night. But tonight? Well, my friend Branny was asking about sunchokes the other day. I LOVE sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) and was surprised that a lot of people had never had them anymore. And if you haven't gotten it by now, I love artichokes and shrimp together. So think of this as a sunchoke/Jerusalem artichoke recipe with a side of shrimp.

If you love artichoke hearts, than there is just no reason why you shouldn't like sunchokes. They're called Jerusalem artichokes for a reason people! It's because they taste just like artichoke hearts! But without the extra work or time. Think of them as "baby chokes" (see how I tied in my baby theme there? I'm just such a genius.)



Jerusalem Artichokes
1 lb Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
3 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

1. Wash and peel the chokes. Drop them in cold water with just a squeeze of lemon juice. Boil about 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, drain (like pasta). Slice in half and toss with parsley and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Sauteed Shrimp (For that leftover parsley)
1 lb shrimp
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp parsley, minced

1. Shell shrimp, leaving tail on. Melt the butter in a skillet and add the shrimp.
2. Cook over high heat, turning shrimp until they turn pink (about 5 minutes)
3. Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

  1. Babies are so much fun. I wish there were more of them in my future. Sigh.

    Sunchokes? I've never had one. But now I want one. Badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babies are wonderful little beasties. They wear you down and out and steal your heart to boot :-). I love your shrimp recipes and hate to see them ending. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! Now I just need to get my hands on some of these babies (the sunchokes!).

    ReplyDelete