Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spicing up your morning



Earlier this month, my friend Kira posted some amazing looking Jalapeno Cheese Bread. I haven't made it yet, but I really should. Because we certainly do love our Jalapeno Cheese Bread around here.

For some reason, I especially love using it for breakfast. I love my spicy breakfasts. I think that's my main reason for seeking out chorizo in omelets, or salsa topped huevos rancheros. There's no better way to get the day started. (And I have no information about this, but I'd like to believe it jumpstarts your metabolism.)

I haven't tried the jalapeno cheese bread as a french toast, although I love it as regular toast with some apple garlic jelly. My favorite breakfast use of jalapeno cheese bread is in a strata - layers of cheese, egg, bread, spicy sausage, and some extra jalapenos, just because.




Jalapeno Strata
8 oz crumbled spicy sausage (chorizo or hot Italian)
6 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
3 slices of jalapeno cheddar bread

1. Preheat oven to 350. Brown sausage and drain. Add jalapeno, cheese, garlic, and cumin.
2. Beat eggs and cream in a bowl and add salt and pepper.
3. Place 1/3 of the egg into an 8x8 baking dish. Place a slice of bread on top of the egg.
4. Place 1/3 of the sausage mixture on the bread. Pour another 1/3 of the egg over the sausage.
5. Top with another slice of bread, another 1/3 of the sausage mixture and and the last 1/3 of the egg.
6. Place last slice of bread over the egg and top with the remaining sausage mixture. Bake for 15 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I am not a person who thinks breakfast is just for pancakes and cereal. Bring on the spicy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I love a spicy, cheesy breakfast. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually eat jalapeno cheese bread before getting a chance to do anything with it, but this looks really good. Definitely our kind of breakfast too. Spicy, cheesy trumps sweet for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can dig a little spice in my morning. This would be a great idea. The only thing that I must have is a cup off coffee to enjoy my meal. :-)

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple garlic jelly? Where would I find such a thing?

    If I ate this for every meal, my metabolism would be on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dish for breakfast or brunch, or for that matter breakfast for dinner. It really sounds delicious and would be a great way to kick-start a day. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete