Pages

Saturday, February 05, 2011

An Alternative to Cornbread




One of the reasons I love going to the Farmer's Market every week is because of the great local vendors. I love supporting them, and it's easy to do when they have such an amazing selection. In general, I get all my preserves from Jackie's Jams, but the past couple weeks another stand has drawn my attention. It's probably the hot pink banner that draws me in, but it could very well be the name that attracts me to Rockstar Preserves.

What I really liked about Rockstar Preserves is that they have more than just preserves (so I can stay loyal to Jackie's Jams too). They also have some really delicious sauces. As I was tasting the Ancho Chili Sauce, I was informed that this was a key ingredient in their amazing chili recipe. Well you don't have to say "chili" to me twice! I was given the recipe and sworn to secrecy. Although, if you haven't picked a good chili for the Superbowl, it seems that the secret recipe might also be available on their website.

My favorite chili side is cornbread, but I was also making turkey and hominy soup this weekend and had some hominy to use up. Tossing the hominy into a spoon bread makes for an excellent substitution to a buttery cornbread. Spoonbread is typically a bit lighter, so it won't steal the attention from your favorite dark and flavorful chili. I like to think of it as a cross between cornbread and Yorkshire pudding - light, airy, and deliciously corny! It has the same golden color as cornbread which is perfectly complementary to most soups, stews, and of course, chili!



Alsace's Spoon Bread (From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup grits
1/2 cup canned hominy
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a baking dish.
2. Combine all ingredients and beat until well blended.
3. Pour into the baking dish and bake 50-60 minutes or until a straw inserted into the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Spoonbread is on my bucket list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few things in life surpass my intense love of cornbread. I've never actually had spoonbread. Or hominy. After this..I'm pretty sure that's a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete