Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dressing up the Basics



I go through phases with both yogurt and cottage cheese. Phases where I just can't get enough of them, and phases where they are the last thing I want to eat. It always boils down to texture. During my no-cottage-cheese-phases I also have a hard time stomaching oatmeal.

Right now, I'm not so in to yogurt. Which is a shame, because our fridge is usually nice and stocked. It makes a fabulous breakfast whether eaten at home, in the car, or at my desk.

So what's a girl to do with a fridge full of perishable dairy? Dress it up enough so that it's virtually unrecognizable as yogurt. Chocolate? Fruit? Why, this isn't yogurt - it's a DESSERT!

Layers of chocolate and strawberries (a great way to use up some leftover strawberries from yesterday's salad) sound so decadent, but when it's really **sshhhhhhh**** whispers "yogurt" then you don't have to feel guilty about it. (But of course, if you want to feel guilty, you can always use the leftover wafer cookies to make ice cream sandwiches. Which is obviously what I'm going to do)


Chocolate Strawberry Not-Yogurt
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 chopped banana
crumbled chocolate wafer cookies
2 6 oz cups of strawberry yogurt

1. Place half of yogurt on bottom of each cup.
2. Top yogurt with half of strawberries and all of the bananas.
3. Top with a layer of crumbled cookie.
4. Place remaining yogurt on top of crumbled cookie.
5. Top with remaining strawberries.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I go front and back with favorites, too. Funnily enough, right now, I'm in a total yogurt kick...I can't seem to get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cottage cheese always and forever. I can eat frightening quantities in one sitting.
    I do want one of these right now, though. Mmmmm chocolate wafer cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your parfaits are lovely. It's great you found a way to deal with the yogurt. I can imagine just how good these must taste. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go through phases as well. I was on a cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and sugar kick for a bit and now I'm back on greek yogurt. Good thing cause I have some stocked away to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now, there are about 10 non fat Greek yogurts in a variety of flavors waiting to be eaten before their expiration date...which is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete