Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Pork with Peppers


Thatbaby  has recently discovered the world of "Selfies."  I'm not entirely sure where he got it from, since the lack of photographs of me on this blog should be evidence enough that I'm not exactly providing him a model to copy from.



It's possible that he caught on to the self-timer trick we used to capture pictures of Thatboy's entire family over Christmas, and knows that you can press a button, and then run to be in the picture. 



I surmise this, because a couple weeks ago he started saying he wanted to take a picture, set my camera on the coffee table, pushed the button then looked into the lens and said "cheeeeeese."  Which then transitioned into me showing him the right way to face the camera, letting him push the button, and lifting him onto the couch with us to be in the picture. 



He's been hooked on the idea ever since and uses every opportunity he can to take his own picture.  In fact, when I went to download some pictures this week, I noticed a series of images that showed me how the boys spent some time while I got my nails done last weekend.


The other thing Thatbaby has been really into the past few weeks is pork.  I know, weird, right?  My kid didn't eat the veggie burger I packed in his lunch yesterday.  He completely ignored the flautas for dinner last night.  But put some pork in front of him?  He's all about it.  We've had pork once a week since the new year, and each time he is happy to finish his chop.  I was a little worried about these chops, with jalapeno, but a de-seeded jalapeno has very little spice.  Just make sure to get rid of those seeds.  And take out your contacts first!


Thatboy and I also really liked the pork.  We're a little easier to please with dinner, but there's something nice about a colorful topping to pork.  And the sauce helps to keep it from being dry - a big problem with pork!

Pork with Peppers
 2 Tbsp olive oil
3 boneless pork chips
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
juice from 1/2  a lime

  1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet.  Season the chops with the chili powder, cumin, and some salt and pepper.  Place the pork in the pan and cook 3 minutes per side.  Remove pork from pan.
  2. Add another Tbsp of oil to the pan and saute the peppers, onions, and garlic for about 10 minutes, until the peppers are soft.
  3. Add the chicken broth and lime juice and bring to a boil.  Lower to a simmer and add the pork chops.  Continue to cook until the pork chops reach an internal temperature of 150.  Serve pork chops with sauce, peppers, and onions.

3 comments:

  1. He (and you guys) would probably really enjoy pork chops alla pizzaiola. Our little guy can CHOW some pork whenever I make that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww love the selfies! I mean, I'm not into them for myself, but for ThatBaby - fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your boys are adorable and very handsome. I tried taking one selfie and cracked myself up. I decided to leave the selfies to the professionals.

    ReplyDelete