Pages

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Trail of Crumbs: Tons of Truffles


I freely admit to having expensive tastes.  I love lobster, Filet Mignon, and truffles.  My favorite is truffles on popcorn, although I'll take them in just about any dish.  So when I saw Kim Sunee's recommendations for how to use truffles, I wanted to try each and every one of them.  And so I did. 

Ideally, you would purchase fresh truffles, but these minced truffles were more convenient for me given the time of year.   They're also not that terribly expensive.  So grab yourself some truffles and join me as we put them on...everything.

This was Thatboy's favorite truffle manifestation.  Thatbaby was a surprisingly big fan also.  Guess he has expensive tastes too.  Toast baguette slices.  Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.  Sprinkle with fleur de sel and truffles.

I loved this one.  Way more than I expected too.  Its so very crisp and refreshing.  And the truffles add a nice earthiness.  Thinly slice crisp celery ribs and toss in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, fleur de sel, and cracked black pepper.  Top with truffle.


Truffles on pasta is basically a given.  Toss cooked fettuccine with cream and top with truffles, fleur de sel, a crack of pepper, and parmigiano-reggiano.

Of the two potato dishes, I actually preferred the roasted potatoes to the mashed potatoes. Which makes sense, since I also like truffles on my french fries.  Slip truffle between 2 very thinly sliced potatoes.  Brush with melted butter or olive oil and bake at 375 until crisp and golden.  Sprinkle with fleur de sel.


 Add truffles to hot potatoes mashed with cream and salted butter.




You can't go wrong with roast chicken in any form, but it's even more fun with truffles.  Before roasting chicken, slip truffle under the skin.  Reserve the pan juices to make a sauce and stir in some truffle.



 My least favorite use was this truffle dessert.  It was definitely a more acquired taste. Whip together 8oz of mascarpone and 1 cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy.  Whip 1 cup whipping cream and fold into sweetened mascarpone.  Add truffle and stir gently to combine.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Did someone say truffles? My favorite. I would happily eat them on anything.

    ReplyDelete