Thatbaby loves going into the ocean, but his friends were a little more hesitant. They did enjoy jumping and splashing in a big hole we filled with water. And sharing snacks.
And squirting each other with water guns, squirters, and buckets of water.
Thatbaby tried to teach Lexus about the joys of splashing in the waves. She taught him the beauty of sunbathing.
So even though I whine and moan, I do make lemonade out of lemons.
Tonight's "Midnight Pasta" is perfect for after a beach day. It's quick, which is important, because the sun just saps your energy. The zucchini and mint also make it feel cool and fresh. And summery. Even in the fall.
Spaghetti with Zucchini, Mint, and Pine Nuts (From Trail of Crumbs)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, sliced
2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1/2 lb spaghetti
2 Tbsp mint leaves
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Cook spaghetti in salted boiling water just until al dente. Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Add pasta to the skillet with shallots and zucchini. Heat about 1 minute, adding some of reserved pasta water if too dry.
- Remove from heat, add mint, half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, and half of the pine nuts. Toss to combine.