Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Trail of Crumbs: Kimchi Soup

When you have a child, you inevitably hope that some of your best attributes get passed on to them.  "I hope he has your kindness."  "I hope he has my sense of humor."  

Inevitably though, you also pass on some of your less best attributes.  It appears I have passed on my faulty tonsils to Thatbaby as we are dealing with his second round of strep throat since September.  That's once a month, for those of you bad with math.  Exacerbated by the fact that we discovered he has a Penicillin allergy during the last go-around.

As a child, I had strep throat so often that I ended up having to get those faulty tonsils removed.  And if Thatbaby continues on this path, I forsee a similar future for him.  For now, it's time to stock the fridge with ice cream, orange juice, and soups.

Personally, although Thatbaby didn't appreciate it, I think this Kimchi soup is perfect for sick days.  The ginger, garlic, and kick of the kimchi helps to clear up sinuses.  And of course, soup just slides right now sore throats.  Plus leafy greens are great for iron - and just ask Popeye what that does for you.


Kimchi Soup (From Trail of Crumbs)
1 tsp peanut or vegetable oil
 1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into chunks
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
3 to 4 cloves garlic
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
6 cups chicken stock
2 to 3 cups kimchi
4 green onions
  1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat.  Season pork with 1/2 tsp salt and add to pot.  Let pork brown 8 minutes.
  2. Add garlic and ginger and stir.
  3. Add stock, stir, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Skim fat as it starts to simmer and froth.
  4. Add 1 to 2 cups kimchi, stir, and let simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until pork is fork tender.
  5. Stir in the green onions and remaining kimchi.  Taste and add more salt, as needed.

1 comment:

  1. I was sick last week and spicy soup is what cured me! I'm convinced of it.

    ReplyDelete