Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Oh I love a rainy night



The rain has returned to Southern California. Oh sure, we had a break for a couple of weeks - but only enough to act as a tease.

It snuck in on Wednesday night, pattering and tapping on our roof and windows. But by Wednesday afternoon, it was gone. Was it just my imagination? My wet boots told me it wasn't. Thursday held the threat of rain all day, just waiting for an errant move. We held our breath. But nothing.

So today, I shouldn't have been disappointed when I looked out my window to see the umbrellas, scurrying beneath me. But I was. Except, then I realized. It was Friday. As long as I could make it home okay, it could rain rain away. There's something I love about curling up on the couch on a rainy night, fire roaring, tv blaring, and it's even better knowing I don't have to get up and go out in it tomorrow morning.

Rainy winter weather makes me crave polar opposites. On the one hand, I want warm dishes like soups, stews, and chilis. But somehow, all that wet cold weather also makes me want fruit. I know, crazy, right? Maybe it's wishful thinking, wanting sun ripened fruit when the outside is so very un-sun-ripened.

But as I said earlier this week, fruit is something I never feel guilty indulging in. Bring it on! Big beautiful, highly unseasonable berries, except, berries are a plenty at the farmer's market. I can't fully explain it, but they are. So at least Southern California produce is as crazy as I am.


Berry Yogurt Parfait
1 cup blackberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
2 6 oz containers strawberry yogurt
your favorite granola

1. Divide berries between 2 glasses, layering them on top of each other.
2. Top each glass of berries with one of the strawberry yogurts.
3. Sprinkle granola on top.

4 comments:

  1. I made a huge batch of oats today for the first time in several months. Just felt like indulging on a big bowl of oatmeal in this funky weather...I'm really not liking this wet weather...It makes me feel funky too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a semi-desert area and rain is infrequent as well. It is so necessary to keep down the fire hazard each year. Of course I also live in Canada so snow is frequent in the winter so being curled up by a fire and eating this good for you parfait are high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruit adds wonderful color to a winter table and such lovely sweet flavors to the palate. I find it irresistible at any time of year. Your berry parfait sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went for a run in the park here and it was 45 degrees and snowing. But only in half of the park. So weird. This weather is driving me nuts!

    ReplyDelete