Now that Passover's over, I can share some more pie-love with you. Like lemon tarts.
There's really something about lemon in the spring, isn't there? The bright color yellow, the sour zing, it's like spring personified. Or fruitified? And lemon desserts are a great way to ring in the season. Fabulous for springtime tea parties or brunches.
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick + 6 Tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups sugar
grated rind of 2 lemons
juice of 3 lemons
- Mix the flour and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Cut 6 Tbsp butter with your fingers until it forms pea-sized balls.
- Whisk the egg yolk and 2 Tbsp water and add to the flour mixture, mixing until it forms a smooth ball. Wrap in foil and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Press the dough into 6 small tart pans and prick with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool and remove from tins.
- Mix the remaining butter, sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice, and eggs in a pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Cool in the refrigerator. Fill the tart shells with the lemon filling and top with fresh whipped cream.