Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Welcome Back

Oh pasta - how I've missed you.  I know that our relationship has its ups and downs.  There are moments in a fit of rage where I've sworn you off - your carby goodness interfering with my other relationships, like the one with the top button of my pants.

But I always come back.  I guess I just don't know what's good for me.

I also seem to be a glutton for punishment when it comes to making dinner.  I really need to work on not planning elaborate meals for weeknights.  I either need to prep everything beforehand or find something really easy.

And this dish?  This dish is really easy.   It's hardly a recipe at all.  This dish makes my "chop up fresh tomatoes and toss with olive oil and garlic" recipe seem complicated.  Mostly because it involves chopping.  This recipe does not.  It does require the use of a can opener, so if that seems above your skill level, consult with an adult who can help you out.



Fire Island Ziti (from Taste of Home)

1 15oz can diced tomatoes, juice reserved
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces uncooked ziti
2 broccoli crowns cut into florets
1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Grated Parmesan cheese

  1. Cook ziti.  Place broccoli in the strainer and drain the pasta into the strainer so the pasta water cooks the broccoli as it passes through.  (One of these days I'll remember to take a picture of this)
  2. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned.  
  3. Add red pepper flakes and cook for 1minute.
  4. Stir in the tomatoes and their juices.  Heat through.
  5. Add the cooked ziti and sprinkle with cheese.

3 comments:

  1. I just love pasta too! This one looks simple, quick and very tasty! These qualities are very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can handle a can opener. Maybe...on a good night. :P This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name of this pasta. And yes I agree, you just can't avoid pasta for long. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete