Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Our Favorite Aspic

This is it - the last aspic you'll see round these parts for a while.  Thatboy is a good sport, but I can only rely on his patience for so long.  I know his breaking point.

And I know to quit while I'm ahead.  So when he gobbled up this aspic declaring it his favorite, I thought it would be a good one to end on. 

With the crisp green vegetables and vinegar, this almost reminded us of a cole slaw.  Of course, that could also be the cabbage element.  It was perfect for a warm spring day - back before these spring days got cold and wet. 
Jellied Vegetable Ring (from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped cabbage
1/8 cup peeled, seeded, and cubed cucumber
1/4 cup defrosted frozen peas
  1. Mix 1 cup cold water, gelatin, and sugar in a saucepan.
  2. Stir over low heat until dissolved.  
  3. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and salt, and chill until as thick as an unbeaten egg white.
  4. Stir in the vegetables, pour into a 4 cup bowl and chill.

6 comments:

  1. This one seems so refreshing. It is a toss up between the gazpacho-like aspic and this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of sloth does seem to suit aspic! I've never heard of it before, but maybe I'd better get on it then! I bet it would be a great summer dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how green this is! It makes it seem that much more refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make something like this with cream cheese. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good that you know his breaking point! I sometimes have overpassed it and faced the consequences lol. The green aspic looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete