Pages

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Finally Found


We just got back from a weekend in Palm Desert with the inlaws.  I have a host of good stories to share, but I'm storing them up for next week when the food here is limited to Passover offerings.

This week I'm going to share a bunch of the recipes I won't be able to enjoy next week.  Recipes like this wheatberry salad.

I've been looking for wheatberries EVERYWHERE.  I've been seeing recipes which use wheatberries for at least 6 months.  But everywhere I go, all my old standboys, they've been nowhere to be found.

And then, when I went to pick up some lentils I saw them!  In a little bin just waiting to be scooped up and taken home.

And once I had them in my hot little hands, I almost couldn't figure out what to do with them first!  I finally decided on a nice, easy salad.  Let the wheatberries shine through on their own.  I played a little with the texture by pairing it with bean sprouts and avocado.  Since avocado is my favorite salad ingredient and goes with pretty much anything.

So I know you're dying to figure out what I thought of my first wheatberries.  I.Loved.Them!  I love the chewiness and sweetness of them.  But then again, it could have just been how great the salad was.

Wheatberry Salad
1 cup cooked wheatberries
1 cup beansprouts
1 tomato, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and diced
2 cups spinach leaves
salt and pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp dried mustard
1/2 lemon

  1. Toss together the wheatberries, beansprouts, tomatoes, and avocado.
  2. Place 1 cup spinach on each plate.
  3. In a small bowl grate the rind of the lemon, then add in the juice of that lemon, the olive oil, mustard.  Whisk well and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Pour the dressing over the wheatberries and veggies and toss.
  5. Spoon the wheatberry mixture over the spinach and serve.


7 comments:

  1. Mmm. That sounds great! Joanne from Eats Well with Others introduced me to them, and I was totally smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for wheatberry love! They are my FAVORITE whole grain. I'm so glad you finally found them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so healthy and delicious! Never tried wheat berries. But will now. I would love to try this recipe. We love salads at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheat berries are amazing! I love the billion different salad possibilities with them

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh it's been a while since I've had wheatberries! I remember loving them but they take so long to cook! I usually get mine in bulk from Whole Foods. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally new to me. I have heard of wheatberry before :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so funny, I just bought wheat berries last week fir the first time myself! My first attempt at making them was not great, I think I didn't' cook them long enough. Do you have a recommendation for how long you cook them for a good texture?

    ReplyDelete