Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Just Peachy


Although he has five senses, Thatboy is largely ruled by his sense of smell.  I'd make some remark about men and pheromones here, but I'm really just thankful he's sitting beside me right now since we just finished a grueling workout.

Nothing can make or break our dinner like the smells that emanate from the kitchen.  "What smells like feet?" is the constant question whenever I use apple cider vinegar.  Conversely, all I need to do is saute some onions and garlic and I have myself a happy husband. 

A couple weeks back I discovered another olefactory secret - my husband loves the smell of sesame oil.  So when I started making this dish, he immediately began peppering me with excited questions about dinner.

Which is good, because my husband also doesn't like mixing his meats and fruit. 

So when two senses are at work (taste v. smell) which one wins out?  In this case, smell.  Thatboy definitely liked this dish.  It probably doesn't hurt that it's a pretty good dish.   A much healthier take on sweet and sour chicken - no breading, no frying, but many of the same great flavors. 


Ginger Chicken with Peaches (from Martha Stewart)
1/2 lb frozen peaches, unthawed
1 red onions, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4  teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

  1. Preheat oven to 450. Place peaches and onions on a large rimmed baking sheet
  2. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, ginger, soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, sesame oil, and red-pepper flakes; toss to coat.
  3. Rub chicken with remaining teaspoon vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange chicken among peaches and onions.
  4. Roast the chicken 25 to 30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Mike definitely has a way better sense of smell than I do.
    But sesame oil does smell amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches must be delicious with chicken. Unlike, your husband, I like fruit with poultry and meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sense of smell definitely trumps my sense of taste. If I can smell fish sauce ANYWHERE near a dish, I can't eat it. It's not even a vegetarian thing cause I still eat sushi. I just HATE the smell of fish sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds so easy to make. And it looks delicious too. Also, I am a huge fan of fruit with meat.

    ReplyDelete