Pages

Thursday, April 05, 2012

More Bread

One of the things that differentiates eating at home from eating out is a bread basket.   Typically, when I prepare dinner at home (with the exception of soup meals) I skip out on the bread course.  It's not really necessary - dinner is usually more than enough.

This especially holds true for pasta dishes.  The only other place I know that has starch as a side dish to starch are my school lunches from my childhood.  And yet, I won't lie to you.  I definitely make use of that bread plate every time we're at a restaurant.  And I love ordering breadsticks with my pizza and garlic bread with Italian food. 

So why is it okay out but not at home?  I have no idea.  I decided to give it a whirl at Thathouse and it was met with great approval.  Garlic bread serves as an excellent way to sop up the extra tomato sauce from most pasta dishes.  It's perfect both for whetting your appetite before the meal, and wrapping it up afterward.

And the bonus is, with a nice loaf, you'll have something to snack on for days afterward!
Garlic Bread
french baguette, cut in half lengthwise
10 garlic cloves, minced
6 Tbsp butter
1 sprig parsley, minced
2 sprigs oregano, minced
1 sprig rosemary, minced
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

  1. Preheat the oven to 500.
  2. Combine the garlic, butter, herbs, and parmesean in a small bowl.
  3. Spread each half of the bread with the butter mixture. 
  4. Place the baguette halves on a baking sheet.  Bake 5 minutes, rotate the baking sheet and bake 5 more minutes.

9 comments:

  1. I do love garlic bread but it has to wait until after Passover. Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks heavenly. I'd eat that for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really delicious. Garlicky carbs are always good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great that garlic bread no i ave to go have junch because of that picture

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like the bestest garlic bread ever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all the above comments. Summarizing into Heavenly, garlicky, best, slice wanting bread! Good thing you got it out of the way before passover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really serve bread in my apartment either but I stock up when out or when I'm at my parents house. I think with just one of me it woudl go bad too quickly! Maybe now that there's a boy around, I might change my tune, though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! what a delicious way to serve french baguette. I have half bread leftover from yesterday's party. This would be the best option to use it.

    ReplyDelete