Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Tree Time: Norwegian Butter Cookies


Because we were so busy last weekend, we saved the tree decorating for this weekend.  Especially with predictions of rain on the horizon.  So while the weather outside was frightful, we were inside, warm and cozy, sipping egg nog, decorating our tree, and watching Polar Express.


Thatbaby loved helping to decorate the tree.  Every ornament we unwrapped was met with a gasp and a "YOOK DADA!"  As he placed the ornaments on the tree (most of them on the same branch) he announced with pride "I do it self!"

We braved the elements that evening to head over to the Pirates' holiday party. Thatbaby helped me make a little holiday treat to bring over.  During this time of year, you may notice the blue tin of Danish butter cookies tends to make its appearance in supermarkets.  I don't tie these cookies in to the holidays, to me they remind me of visiting my grandfather in the hospital, they were his favorite.  But apparently they're associated with Christmas.  I've been dying to try the Norwegian Butter Cookies in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook to see how they stack up, and this seemed like a good time to try them.

These are another one of my highly recommended "make with toddlers" recipes because it doesn't contain any raw egg.  Because if your toddler is anything like mine, they spend a lot of time "helping" by tasting the batter.

These ended up just as I had imagined!  Sweet little buttery bites.  They're a fantastic holiday treat, and you make them as big or small as you like.  I like mine bite sized, because I don't feel as guilty popping one in my mouth...every time I pass them.


Norwegian Butter Cookies (The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
1/4 lb butter
2 hardboiled egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 375.  Cream the butter in an electric mixture.
  2. Add the egg yolks and beat well.
  3. Beat in the sugar.
  4. Add the flour and vanilla extract and combine thoroughly.
  5. Arrange by teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking these go so well with Christmas tree decorating! Or milk. Or hot chocolate. Or anything really.

    ReplyDelete