Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fishy Hands: Southwestern Shrimp


"Have you ever noticed our son has fishy hands?"  Thatboy asked me a few weeks ago.

"Fishy hands?  What are fishy hands?"

"No matter what he's doing, his hands are always reaching, touching, grabbing for something - like they're fishing for something.  Like even when he falls down, his hands are wandering over the ground.  And when you hold him, he starts fishing his hands into your shirt, your armpits, or tickling your arms."

I actually hadn't ever noticed it, but as soon as Thatboy brought it up, I realized he was 100% correct.  His hands seem to have a mind of their own.  He'll be looking one way, while he little hands start meandering off somewhere else, searching for a shell, a toy, a ball - really, who knows what they're looking for.   My son is afflicted with "Fishy Hands."

I don't have fishy hands.  And in general, I'm not a huge fan of fish.  Except as pets.  I do love my fishy handed son.  And I do love shellfish.  I think my love for shrimp in the summer is fairly well documented.  So it should come as no surprise to find another summer shrimp recipe here.  I really like how quickly this one comes together.  Although, that could be why I like shrimp to begin with.  Anything that takes less than 5 minutes to cook is a pretty good protein in my book!  Which means when you add this shrimp to a simple tomato sauce, you end up with a meal that takes less than 15 minutes to throw together.  Which is perfect, because in the summer, the last thing you want is to spend hours huddled over a hot stove.

Southwestern Shrimp
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 chipotles in adobo
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 garlic cloves 
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined


  1. Combine tomatoes and chipotles in food processor and puree until smooth.
  2. Heat canola oil in a skillet.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  3. Add the tomatoes and chipotle and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the shrimp and and cook 4 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
  5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh.. You had us at chipotles in adobo!! Love the smokey and spicy flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I'm not sure that I would have thought to use that term to describe it...maybe grabby hands? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling ... this sounds amazing. And a dinner in 15 minutes is totally something I am down with.

    ReplyDelete