Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Birthday Redo: Bean Burritos


When Thatboy got back from Nicaragua, he presented me with my birthday gift - a collection of Raymond Chandler novels and a request that I take off the first Friday I was done with trial so he could make up the birthday he had planned for me.

On Friday we both took the day off work, dropped Thatbaby off at daycare, and headed out to Temecula.

The first part of Thatboy's birthday plans was wine tasting.



We brought some fruit, some cheese, and a loaf of fresh French bread and made a morning of it.  We sat and sipped everything from champagne to zinfandel.

Before too long, we packed up the bottles we were bringing home and headed back to San Diego.  The second part of the Thatboy's plan involved us going to a movie at the fancy movie theater.  I chose RIPD because, well, Ryan Reynolds.  The movie didn't do too well this weekend, but really it was a great summer movie.  A light hearted action - it reminded me a lot of Men in Black.  And of course, it doesn't hurt that it stars my imaginary boyfriend.  So we sat in big comfy leather seats, ate popcorn, and enjoyed the movie.

The last part of my belated birthday day was meeting up with my family for dinner.  We did that without Thatboy on my actual birthday, but on this makeup day we had dinner out, the three of us.  We picked Thatbaby up from daycare so he could join us.



On my birthday (and this makeup day) I really wanted to try the new Mexican restaurant that had opened in our neighborhood.   I love Mexican food.  Which is why you see so much of it on my blog.  We eat Mexican in our house at least once a week - if not more.   I like the fact that it's pretty versatile and easy to make vegetarian for our little bean lover.   Like a bean burrito - or "bean taco" as it's called in my house.  Because everything made with a tortilla is a taco.  Burritos, quesadillas, even enchiladas are called tacos.


Bean Burrito
2 tsp canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
2 cans black beans, drained and rinced
1/4 cup salsa
6 tortillas
1 cup cheddar jack cheese
1 tomato, chopped
shredded lettuce
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic, chile powder, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  2. Add the beans and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in salsa and mash.
  4. Divide the beans between the tortillas and top with cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce.  Roll and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you guys to got to celebrate! You both deserved it!

    ReplyDelete