It took him a little bit to figure out what was going on.
But he eventually got the hang of it.
Until he realized those colorful things were candy, and the house and people were cookies. Then it became all about wearing and eating the gingerbread house.
And we decided completion would occur after Thatbaby's bedtime. Notice the half-eaten gingerbread man in the front which Thatboy tried to camouflage with frosting and candy.
For Thatbaby, the evening was a rousing success. I mean, it is rare that mom and dad let him have candy and cookies. And we had one of his favorite dinners too! Thatbaby loves beans. I mean, he really LOVES beans. So chili is a no-brainer when it comes to food favorites.
Thatbaby finished his entire bowl of chili. So he obviously takes after me! I'm so glad, because it's wonderful to have a partner in crime in my chili-love. This version is a quick and dirty mixed meat version. With both turkey and ground beef, it's got a little something for everyone. Like mixed meat meatloaves, the ground beef adds a little extra fat which makes the end result a bit silkier, but the ground turkey (go for the leanest you can find) makes you feel a little less guilty.
Turkey and Beef Chili
3/4 lb extra lean ground turkey
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
4 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove minced garlic
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
salt and pepper
1 can tomato paste
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
- In a medium skillet, brown turkey and ground beef.
- Add in peppers, onion, and tomatoes. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and stir till everything is coated.
- Add in tomato sauce, beans, and one can of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.