Which is how I got roped in to Superwoman's Stella & Dot party last week. Because I adore Superwoman. And Superwoman is a Stella & Dot consultant. And how can you say no to someone you adore?
So last week, I drank some wine, ate some cheese, and got a lot of Christmas shopping done! And of course, I might have picked up a little something for myself.
It is officially winter-ish, which means soup. And Kelsey always features such great soups. Especially on her meatless Mondays. This one is impossibly easy. A little broth, store-bought tortellini, and then you just throw in lots and lots of vegetables.
Ellie Krieger's Tortellini and Kale Soup (as seen on Apple A Day)
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tomatoes, diced
8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 can low-sodium canellini beans
6 oz. kale, washed, ribbed, and chopped
1 package whole wheat cheese tortellini
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add in carrots, celery, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook mixture, stirring often, until softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add beans, kale, and tortellini and continue simmering until tortellini are cooked through, about 6 minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.