Pages

Monday, March 07, 2011

With a Little Help From My Friends

This week on Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011, we're sharing resources. Most of the other entries I've read share their favorite books and magazine which help them on their healthy journey. Most of the books I read don't have much of a health aspect to them. And the magazines I read are your fairly typical fare of foods and clothing (although not usually in the same magazine.)



So instead, the resources I turn to are fellow bloggers. No matter how healthy or unhealthy my own choices are, I know exactly who to turn to for inspiration or help.

First, there's Shelby. Shelby is my go-to resource for new playlist ideas, running inspiration, and wine and beer recs.

And anytime I feel tired or lazy, I turn to my friend Cate, who has FINALLY come out of the blog-closet regarding her pregnancy. Seriously, it kills me keeping secrets. You see, Cate is currently training for the Boston Marathon. Which she will be running 20 weeks pregnant. What? Like that's impressive? How on earth can you justify sitting on your butt doing nothing when Cate is out there running for 2.

My friend Kira is another runner, and recently converted vegetarian. (Well, she's probably closer to a flexitarian, but has a very low meat intake). She makes super healthy meals with high grains, good proteins, and some of my favorite ingredients.

And speaking of favorite ingredients, I think I first fell in love with Cara because of her pumpkin recipes. But it was easy to stick around for more. Because Cara is seriously the most inventive cook I know. She manages to turn ingredients you've never heard of, into dishes you MUST MAKE NOW. Everything she makes is healthy, and yet covers all of your indulgences. (Don't believe me? Try the black bean brownies) And she's a weights girl, which is totally badass.

And of course there's Branny, who also is my go-to girl for meatless meals. Even though she often adds meat in for her husband, which is WAY nicer than me. I never make Thatboy his own special dinner. Branny is now living in a horse ranch - minus the horses. I imagine her as the healthiest person I know, out working in the field, milking the cattle even though she does neither of those things. One thing's for sure, she is a wiz with taking something not necessarily vegetarian and coming up with a great alternative. I adore her meatless shepherd's pie and most of her enchilada ideas!


Next week's topic is keeping the motivation going.

And here are a list of the other bloggers participating:


I'm sure most of you know what tomorrow is. The streets are already posted with signs warning about the imminent Mardi-Gras festivities. And not to worry, I have a fabulous Mardi-gras type recipe waiting for you tomorrow.

But Fat Tuesday isn't just Fat Tuesday, it's also Shrove Tuesday. Shrove Tuesday follows the same idea as Mardi-gras. It's the day before lent so you get all your sinning out in one day before you become trite and obedient. Back in the old days, people used to get rid of their "sinful" food on this day. Even back then, people knew that fat made food taste good and therefore was bad for you. So they used it all up on Shrove Tuesday by making pancakes.

So in honor of Pancake Tuesday tomorrow, I'm sharing a pancake recipe with you. It's a very basic pancake recipe. In the past few weeks I've doctored it up by adding bananas, or chocolate chips, or even oatmeal. You can really play a lot with a good pancake recipe. Just make sure that you use up ALL the fat, oil, or butter in your house when making these. If you need help, just send it my way. We Jews don't really get involved in this "Lent" thing.



Pancakes
1/2-3/4 cup milk (depending on how thick you want it, more milk = thinner pancakes)
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 egg
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

1. Combine the milk, butter, and egg in an electric mixer.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a separate bowl, and then add to the wet ingredients, stirring just until moist and combined.
3. Butter a griddle and set over medium heat.
4. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour batter onto hot griddle. Cook until the pancakes are full of bubbles on the top. Flip and and brown the other side.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding inspiration from fellow bloggers. I trust their opinions more than cookbooks anyday! You definitely chose some greats to give shout-outs to! Why didn't I have pancakes for breakfast this morning? This photo is telling me that was a sad mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you have so much support.
    It's also great that you've shared your pancakes with us. They really look delicious and they certainly are timely. I hope you have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! I feel like I'm in great company with the other blogs you listed. I'm currently calling myself "pescetarian" if I'm looking for a label. Otherwise, I just tell people that I'm not really eating meat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I missed this, but I just saw it! Thanks for the shout out! I love many of the other blog you mentioned, too!

    ReplyDelete