Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's Gettin' Hot in Here



So I realized I never told you about where we went last weekend. And here it is Thursday already! Shame on me. Thatmom enjoyed our winter retreat to Palm Springs so much last year, that we made a return trip last weekend.

As I noted, we weren't expecting much. The weather was supposed to be awful - raining and cold all weekend. And of course, since it's California, you never can predict the weather. So instead of rain and cold, it was sunny and beautiful. Well, it was windy, but at least warm enough to lie by the pool for a bit. And do a ton of shopping. And eat at all of our favorite restaurants.

The weather has continued to heat up all week. Today I think it reached it's peak. It was in the 80s. Let me remind everyone, that although tomorrow may be April 1, today is still March. 85 degrees in MARCH?

It was far too hot for cooking. Even Thatdog looked at me like I might be crazy when I entered the kitchen. So this is my easy instant, almost no cook dinner. It's more no cook if you have a rice steamer like I do, or some rice already made. But even if you have to make rice on the stovetop, it won't heat up the whole house, or even the whole kitchen.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a popsicle in the freezer calling my name.


Almost No Cook Chicken Burritos
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup cooked chicken breast, diced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 whole wheat tortillas

  1. Combine salsa and chicken and microwave for 2 minutes. (The microwave, like an oven only faster, hotter, and with far more radiation - yay!)
  2. Stir in the cheese and rice.
  3. Divide mixture between the two tortillas and roll up.

5 comments:

  1. Can I tell you that your last comment on my blog made my day? And now that I know you look exactly like Mardi when you see my updates, I can picture you perfectly. I wonder if Mardi and thatdog could be bffs?

    BTW, my husband loves anything wrapped in a tortilla so I keep cooked rice and proteins around on weekends for quick meals too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have relatives in Palm Springs and they are always complaining about how hot it is. If only they could feel how cold it is here in March! I can't wait for the days when it's too hot for me to cook. I'll so be turning to this burritos for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 85 already!? It's snowing here right now. I wish spring would hurry up and get here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are already far warmer than we are. It was mid-60's today and to be honest it could stay there as far as I'm concerned. I'm not much of a fan of hot weather fan and our more moderate temps are perfect for these old bones. I hope you have a fabulous weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you were kicking your heels up. I love casseroles like this one. Chili and cornbread go together like a hand in glove. Makes for a delicious meal.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete