Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spring MUST be here



Saturday mornings when we're in town I get up early so I can head down to the Little Italy Farmer's Market before the day gets started. It's not in the neighborhood, but it's so good that I make the drive.

Except, now the downtown Farmer's Market has returned for the season. This is ever so convenient since it's on a Thursday and I work downtown. Which means I can hit up the farmer's market on my lunch break and save myself an extra trip on the weekends.

The downtown Farmer's Market isn't nearly as extensive as the Little Italy market (which is by far the best of the county - I've hit them all up), but it does make my weekends a little more free. And I can still score some beautiful produce.

Today I picked up some spinach, tomatoes, mandarin oranges, and avocado. I shared the mandarins with my coworkers and they all think they may be the sweetest of the season.

For me, the return of the Farmer's Market heralds the return of spring. I'm hoping the warmer weather sticks around, and maybe we can go for a week without rain! I'm celebrating with what I think of as a quintessential spring dish - baked chicken with thyme. Being able to use fresh herbs is a welcome treat after the winter. Of course, you know what they say about spring chickens!


Baked Chicken with Thyme
1/4 onion, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped fine
1/2Tbsp oil
2 chicken breasts


1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine oil, garlic, salt, paprika, onion, and thyme to create a paste.
2. Spread paste over chicken and bake 40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Simple chicken dinner. It's weird being in LA as there really is no spring here. It's already 90 degrees here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Spring...Please come to Canada.

    This snow then rain then snow then rain (you get the idea) is not cool.

    Jealous of the return of your Farmer's Market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to the farmer's market was my FAVORITE saturday morning activity! Before my long runs took over, that is. Can't wait to get back into it once the marathon is over!

    ReplyDelete