Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Been a While Since Bruschetta



When we went out for Thatmom's birthday, we were all starving by the time we sat down at the table. We decided to get some bruschetta to begin, but had to decide between something classic - tomato and basil, or something a little different - white bean. We stuck with the classic. Why mess with something you like?

Well, I'm here to tell you, that messing with bruschetta can give you some glorious outcomes. I have a bad habit of forgetting things I have in the pantry. Things like olives. Which I seem to buy every time I go to the store, despite the fact that I always have a jar on the shelf. Which means olives get put into a lot of my dishes. Mostly things like pasta and salads, but as I sit here waiting for roast chicken that feels like it will never be done, I decided it would be excellent in an bruschetta type appetizer.

Kalamata olives scream "Greek" to me, so I added some feta to my mixture of tomatoes, basil, and olives. And as easy as that "Greek Bruschetta" was born. Similar enough to the original that you're bound to love it, but different enough to spice it up every now and again.



Greek Bruschetta
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1 Tbsp basil, chiffonade

1. Combine all ingredients!

5 comments:

  1. I love using feta and olives because the tomatoes here are nowhere ready for a really good bruschetta - but this tang and creamy goodness elevates it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combo you used here. Tangy, creamy and altogether lovely. Pass the plate please. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I need an appetizer for book club next week and this would be perfect. Your issue with olives I seem to have with cartons of chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for really good tomatoes so that i can live off of bruschetta. I'm always up for an olive or sixty so they seem like the perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete