I'd like to be truly impressive and enthrall everyone with fabulous dinners that feed exactly the right amount and never leave leftovers. I'd like to tell you that food never goes bad in my fridge. I'd like to tell you that I have every ingredient in hand when I begin a dish. However, each of those statements is an out and out lie. Instead I'll tell you about dinner the other night.
DH and I had been out all day. I had forgotten to take the chicken out of the freezer on at least two occasions. When we got home in the late afternoon I finally remembered and pulled a chicken breast from the freezer...and then we sat on the couch and opened a bottle of wine. Before we knew it, it was after 8pm and I hadn't even begun to make dinner and that bottle of wine was gone and one of his wine bottle friends had taken his place.
So I went to go make dinner, chicken tacos. Only to realize I had no lettuce and no cheese. While Thatboy could probably do without lettuce, he's pretty adamant that his tacos have cheese. So I started digging through the fridge. I found a bag of shredded cabbage I used for one of our lunches earlier this month, and then I found my mozzarella/cheddar string cheese and voila. Dinner was born! Luckily no matter how dire the circumstances I always have salsa on hand and really, what more do you need?
Clean Out the Fridge Tacos
- 1 chicken breast
- 8 corn tortillas
- any kind of lettuce/cabbage/spinach - something green and leafy
- 1 tomato, diced (or any other veggie that's taking up space in your fridge or counter)
- 4 Tbsp. salsa
- Cook chicken your favorite way possible. I cut mine into strips and sauteed it stovetop because it was late and I was hungry.
- After chicken is cooked, heat tortillas, one at a time in the skillet (about 30 seconds each side).
- Double up the tortillas and place chicken down center. Top with your shredded leafy green and diced veggie, shredded cheese and a tablespoon of salsa.
Each serving has:
Each serving has:
|Total Fat||13.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||6.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||55.2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8.5 g|