As for food, recreate one of your favorites from childhood vacations, or your favorite trip you've taken recently. For me this is the classic summer dish we had every year. Shrimp with saffron rice. It's nothing fancy, but I swear just smelling it and I can start feeling the warm sticky air of the South and one taste brings me right to the sea.
As for Thatboy, this is one of his favorites. When I made this for us he mentioned at least three or four times during the meal "any time you want to make this again, feel free."
It's the perfect recipe to end a vacation at home.
Shrimp with Saffron Rice
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- 1 pkg saffron rice
- Prepare rice according to direction.
- Saute garlic and shallot over medium heat.
- Add wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Add shrimp and sliced bell peppers and cook five minutes until shrimp is pink.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve over rice.