Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Worst Breakfast Ever

This is a terrible breakfast, but a FANTASTIC dessert. The theme for this month's recipe-remix was breakfast. Unfortunately I am terribly uncreative when it comes to breakfast, mostly because I like the classics.

So I put on my thinking cap on how to change up classic breakfast foods. I'm going through a HUGE blueberry phase right now - blueberry bread, blueberry shortcakes, fresh blueberries...so I kept having dreams of blueberry pancakes. Luckily blueberry pancakes are Thatboy's favorites. So then came how to twist it up... and I kept coming back to Belgian waffle sundaes - you know, a belgian waffle, topped with ice cream, fudge, whipped cream......

Why not make a pancake sundae? With blueberry pancakes!! And instead of fudge, I'd top it with maple syrup - you know, like what you put on pancakes. And that's when my flash of brilliance came in. My mom's all time favorite sundae topper is wet walnuts. Honestly, I don't know what exactly they are, but they're sweet and carmely. So adding pecans to maple syrup should have the same effect!

So next time you want pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast, keep the leftovers on hand for an amazing dessert.

First, lets make the pancakes. Thatboy likes his blueberry pancakes with that sour flavor imparted by buttermilk. But in the interest of making a twist I used sour cream instead of buttermilk. Thatboy was worried it would make the pancakes too light and fluffy (heaven forbid) but I tried to explain to him there's no leavening agent in sour cream.


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup milk
4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 pkg fresh blueberries

1) Combine dry ingredients in food processor and pulse several times.
2) Combine egg yolks, sour cream, milk, and cooled melted butter. Beat well.
3) Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
4) Beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form, then fold gently into the batter.
5) Fold in blueberries.
6) Heat griddle over medium heat. Reduce heat and pour circles of batter onto griddle. Cook over low heat until bubbles appear on the surface and then flip them. Cook other side for one minute and then remove from heat. Store in warmed oven.


Okay, time for the wet pecans:

4 oz pecans
1 cup Log Cabin Lite (no I'm serious, if I bring home anything else I get sent back to the store)
4 Tbsp butter

1) Toast pecans.
2) Heat maple syrup in small saucepan and simmer gently for 3 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and stir in pecans and butter.

Now for the fun part!

1) Take warmed pancakes and put them on a plate.
2) Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream
3) Pour wet pecans over the top

13 comments:

  1. There should be laws against these kinds of dessert. It looks so unbelievably good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fine fine breakfast to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to go to the dentist just looking at this ;-)

    This looks delicious, and this was a great twist, exactly what we are looking for. Thanks so much for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOooooh my gosh! Blueberry pancakes are my FAVORITE and this looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy, this looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds sooooooooooooo good... the kind of thing I'd love to eat everyday but I'm sure I wouldn't survive very long after that! Great entry for Recipe Remix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. pancakes? ice cream? sweet nuts? syrup?

    i see NOTHING wrong with this scenario :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had a wicked thought: I wonder what it would be like to cut the pancakes into strips, so that they could fit in an Ice Cream Sunday cup? The exact same recipe, only a more 'desert' presentation instead of a 'breakfast presentation? (and, that way you don't lose all that yummy gooey sauce!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this post STARRED. Way too many things to mention that I want in it.

    Your breakfast looked bloody good. Want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the past few weekends i've been making a sort-of version of this: kashi wheat waffles covered in butter, chopped bananas, pecans and maple syrup. super easy and so so good! i bet it'd be even better with vanilla ice cream, but i guess it might negate the healthy aspect of the kashi waffle ('cuz you know, the butter and syrup don't or anything...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great though! I feel full just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a sweet, gooey mess. I'd eat that for breakfast or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks absolutely sinful! love it.

    ReplyDelete