Pages

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?



If she can't she should learn to make a clafouti. According to Wikipedia, the source for all knowledge, a clafouti is a French dessert that combines fresh fruit and a pancake like batter. It has all the benefits of a pie, a crisp, a cobber - namely fruit and dough, but its a hundred times easier to make. The name comes from the phrase "to fill up" which is basically all you do with the dish. Fill it up with berries and batter. Then stick it in the oven and forget about it.

I've been seeking clafoutis all over the net. Since it's really warm here I'm starting to dream about summertime fruits like cherries. I've been searching the grocery stores for fresh cherries, but apparently just because I think its summer, doesn't mean mother nature agrees with me. It's not cherry season just yet. So I headed over to the frozen food section of the store and picked up a bag of frozen cherries. Seriously, when I get an idea in my head nothing can change my mind. I wanted cherries and gosh darn it, I was going to get myself cherries.

One of my favorite summertime treats is to eat frozen fruit straight from the bag. If you come to my house in the summer you can almost guarantee a bag of frozen grapes in the freezer. But I know that's a little odd and most people prefer their fruit...not frozen. Which brings us full circle back to the clafouti. A little frozen cherries, a little batter, and voila: Dessert anyone?


Cherry Clafouti
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cherry liqueur
1 3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 lb frozen cherries

1) Heat oven to 350. Coat glass baking dish with cooking spray. In medium bowl beat eggs and sugar until frothy.
2) Add milk, vanilla, and liqueur, stir until smooth.
3) Whisk in flour.
4) Arrange cherries at the bottom of the baking dish.
5) Pour batter over cherries. Bake until set in center and golden on top, about 50 minutes.
6) Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Serves 12.
Each serving has:
Calories 157.7
Total Fat 2.8 g
Cholesterol 107.0 mg
Sodium 50.1 mg
Potassium 117.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
Protein 5.8 g


7 comments:

  1. I've never had clafouti. Actually, I've never even heard of it! I'm intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy, so simple, and so delicious. Can't wait to try this out on all types of fruit this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so easy and so good! Can I have a little whipped cream on mine please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caught my attention - I suspect even I could make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like saying "clafouti" out loud. it's now on my fun words list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherry pie is my favorite kind of pie. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jim will flip over this!

    [hitting print]

    ReplyDelete