Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Crave Wednesdays: Mushroom Burgers with Fried Eggs and Truffle Oil

Yesterday was just one of those days.  It started with a 5:15 wakeup from Thatbaby.  Which is always rough.  I can't wait till he breaks that pattern!

Both boys had a doctor's appointment in the morning, near my office, so they got to come to work with me.  In the car on the way there I touched my hair and felt something funny.  "Hmmm how did popcorn get in my hair?"  I pulled it out only to realize it wasn't popcorn, but a bee!  I screamed as it stung my finger.  Nothing like scaring your 4 year old to death as a way to start the day.

We all made it to my office unscathed, and things were looking up.  Then we headed to the doctor.  I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to schedule both their appointments together, but I want you to picture me trying to nurse a screaming 4 month old who just had shots, while at the same time trying to comfort a crying 4 year old who just had shots.

While at the doctor's office, I got a call from my office, the meeting I was supposed to go to after dropping the boys off at their respective schools was cancelled.  Which sounds good, except, the meeting was about 15 minutes from the kids' schools, and my office is closer to 40.  So I had to drive 40 minutes to their schools and then 40 minutes back to my office.

While at my office, 4 new motions crossed my desk.  4 motions that the other side was supposed to file last Friday, not Tuesday.  4 new motions who have responses due today. 

Which is about when my sinus headache turned into a migraine.

Thankfully Thatboy picked the boys up from school, so when I got home Thatkid was already eating dinner and I could curl up on the couch while Thatkid got Thatbaby ready for bed.

Days like this call for something decadent.  A turkey sandwich just isn't going to cut it.  Something rich and creamy is in the works and a great way to dress up something is by adding a fried egg.  It instantly turns an ordinary burger into something that makes you feel like you're spoiling yourself.  This burger also features truffle oil - another one of those ingredients that imparts a touch of the extraordinary.  This burger becomes something that you can curl up into, a true comfort food, for those days you really need comfort!



Mushroom Burgers with Fried Eggs and Truffle Oil (from Cooking Light)
cooking spray
3 cups finely chopped crimini mushrooms
1/3 cup minced shallots
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup cabernet sauvignon
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 lb ground beef, extra lean
4 large eggs
2 cups arugula
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 Tbsp white truffle oil
1 Tbsp minced fresh chives
1 Tbsp light canola mayonaise
1 Tbsp no-salt-added ketchup
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 hamburger buns, toasted
  1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add mushrooms and next 3 ingredients to pan.  Saute 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned.
  2. Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates.  Remove from heat; cool completely.
  3. Combine mushroom mixture, 1/2 tsp pepper, salt, and beef in a large bowl.
  4. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.  Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.  Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes.  Carefully turn patties; grill 4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
  5. Return pan to medium heat; coat with cooking spray.  Crack eggs into pan; cook 4 minutes or until whites are set.  Remove from heat. 
  6. Combine 1/4 tsp pepper, arugula, cheese, and oil in a medium bowl; toss gently to coat.
  7. Combine chives and next 3 ingredients (through mustard) in a small bowl.
  8. Spread 2 tsp mayonnaise mixture on bottomhalf of each bun.
  9. Top with 1patty.
  10. Top each serving with 1 egg, 1/2 cup arugula mixture, and top half of bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment