Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

See the tear?

I've been really harsh to Fannie lately. Maybe you've noticed it. I've even been questioning whether or not she should perhaps have written a cookbook at all.

And then I made these.

They are beautiful. Their beauty made me cry. Of course, the tears could also be due to the martinis I made for us tonight...I'm embarrassed at what a lightweight I've become. Nevertheless, these are gorgeous and tasty. AND even better - far easier than their name belies.

I do have to admit, I take a certain amount of joy in presenting something that looks and sounds complicated, but is, in reality, incredibly easy. I think that's why I like making bread so much. Tell your guests you're making cream puffs from scratch, and you're sure to get a raised eyebrow hiding the thought "who does she think she is, Martha Stewart?" But when they come together this easily, why on Earth wouldn't you take the accolades?

These were stuffed with some leftover potroast, defrosted for the occasion. If you don't have pot roast in your freezer, you can fill them with whatever your heart desires. Or, as my 9th grade health teacher used to say: Whatever Floats Your Boat. Funnily enough, he only used this phrase with me...I must have had some very strange ideas for a 9th grader!




Savory Cream Puffs (From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
  • 4 Tbsp Butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 425. Combine 1/2 cup water and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Remove from heat and add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
  3. Return to moderate heat and stir constantly until the dough leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes.
  5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating hard until the dough is smooth.
  6. Place large rounded tablespoons of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Remove to racks and cut nearly in half, let cool.
  8. Using a small spoon, push though the slice just enough filling to fill the puffs. Heat for a few minutes more before serving.

7 comments:

  1. Cream puffs should be sweet! This seems so wrong (even though I still want one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, these look great. I will take flaky pastry with any kind of filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor ole Fanny!!! These savory puffs do look great though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. savory cream puffs! wow, this sounds amazing. another recipe for me to bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay! I HAVE to try these. They look great. And if they are easy to boot... all the better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. savory, sweet, i like any and all cream puffs.

    ReplyDelete